In today’s increasingly fast-paced world, competition for attention on the internet is at an all-time high. Thousands of sites, if not more, are launched every day, which is why it’s important to consider how to...
In today’s increasingly fast-paced world, competition for attention on the internet is at an all-time high. Thousands of sites, if not more, are launched every day, which is why it’s important to consider how to make your own website stand out from among the others.
When people are searching online for a lawyer, they usually browse through the search results, clicking through some of the results to skim the website. The first thing they’ll likely see is that prime real estate at the very top (i.e., your website’s header). Once a prospective client is on your website, you only have few seconds to capture their attention and prove your firm’s value. So how do you do that?
In a recent blog post, we discussed the importance of using a professional photo in the header graphic in order to instill a sense of trust and encourage visitors to contact you. In addition to the professional picture, there is an often-overlooked element that can help you build trust and grab the visitor’s attention: a tagline.
A tagline is a short but meaningful and easily remembered sentence or phrase that conveys your firm’s strengths or unique characteristics. Having a professional photo and a tagline in your site’s header can give you an advantage over other sites that are competing for the same audience’s attention. Taglines are particularly important for smaller law firms who are not widely recognized as their larger competitors.
Below you can find five reasons your website should have an effective tagline:
- A tagline quickly conveys your unique value proposition. It communicates to your potential clients the key benefits of your services and positively shapes their first impression. This initial impression can go a long way in keeping visitors on your site, which is critical to converting them into clients.
- A tagline helps differentiate your law firm from the competition. A unique tagline is an effective way to set you apart from other law firms that offer similar services in your area. Make sure that your tagline memorably communicates what makes your firm and its services special.
- A compelling tagline promotes connection with your targeted audience at an emotional level. A potential client’s decision-making process is often based on whether they feel a positive connection, and can identify themselves, with the law firm’s brand. Remember, the goal of your tagline is to provoke a deeper feeling of trust among people looking for legal services.
- A catchy tagline helps people recognize and remember you. You surely must have come across a TV commercial or radio ad with a catchy tagline, and even if you don’t remember the product or service they were selling, the tagline may stick with you.
- Last but not least, a well-thought-out tagline can help improve your website’s conversion rate. A solid tagline reinforces your firm’s personality and can pique the interest of potential clients by letting them know how your services will assist them. Also, since a tagline is one of the elements from your website that your visitors will first see, it can have an immediate impact on them.
Tips for Creating a Good Tagline
- Focus on your firm’s characteristics that make a difference. Incorporate what you perceive makes your law firm unique and special into your tagline.
- Keep it short and simple. Taglines are meant to be easily remembered. Keep your slogan around 6-8 words. The best taglines are simple and clever.
- Make it memorable. It should be creative and catchy so that it can stick with potential clients and add value to your marketing.
- Be consistent. Make sure your tagline complements your existing logo and law firm name for a clear and consistent message.
- Make it informative. It is usually more helpful when your tagline does not repeat information that is prominent elsewhere in your header and it reflects the services your firm provides.
- Consider your target audience. Include a message in your tagline that your visitors will relate to and understand.
Taglines may seem like just like a few simple words put together, but having a compelling and engaging tagline is a great way to set your firm apart from the competition and draw attention to your website. Make sure you incorporate into it what is unique about your law firm and capitalize on it. A tagline gives you an invaluable opportunity to communicate to your visitors what you consider is important to them. If potential clients do not know how your firm and its website is relevant to them, chances are they will not take the next step and contact you. A few thoughtful words will not only draw visitors in, it can also help your firm get noticed, remembered, and retained.