We can’t send you updates from Justia Onward without your email.
Unsubscribe at any time.
We’ve crunched the numbers for the Justia Lawyer Directory in the first quarter of 2023 and are ready to share new insights with all of you. Check out this post to discover the top states for profile claims, some of our most active practice areas, and more!
At Justia, we’ve spent twenty years helping consumers better understand and access the law while helping lawyers achieve their goals. As part of our efforts in both of these areas, Justia operates the Justia Lawyer Directory – a free directory that both simplifies the process of finding a lawyer for consumers and expands lawyers’ visibility online.
Each quarter, we take a look at the data in the Justia Lawyer Directory and share some of the highlights with our Justia Onward audience. Wondering which states had the most lawyers claim their free profiles so far this year? Interested in seeing which practice areas have had the most lawyers get listed? We have answers.
Where Do Our Lawyers Come From?
California continued to be the top state for lawyers claiming their profiles in our directory in the first quarter of 2023, but three new states joined the leaderboard! At the start of this year, these states led the way for profile claims: California, Texas, New York, Florida, Michigan, Georgia, New Jersey, Washington, Colorado, and Ohio.
What Types of Law Do They Practice?
The Justia Lawyer Directory offers lawyers more than 50 unique practice areas to choose from when completing their Justia Profile. With so many unique practice areas to choose from, lawyers can better describe their practices and users can more easily find lawyers with experience handling their type of legal matter.
From January 1, 2023-March 31, 2023, Personal Injury remained the most common practice area for lawyers claiming their free Justia Profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory. Business Law, Estate Planning, Family Law, Criminal Law, Divorce, Real Estate Law, Probate, Employment Law, and DUI & DWI rounded out the top 10.
Where Did the Lawyers in the Justia Lawyer Directory Attend School?
The lawyers in the Justia Lawyer Directory come from across the country and have attended numerous institutions big and small. We looked at the alma maters of the lawyers claiming their profiles in our directory last quarter and found the schools whose alumni led the charge for claiming Justia Profiles so far this year.
Top 10 Law Schools
- South Texas College of Law (Houston, Texas)
- University of Texas School of Law (Austin, Texas)
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Western Michigan University (Lansing, Michigan)
- Baylor Law School (Waco, Texas)
- Levin College of Law, University of Florida (Gainesville, Florida)
- University of Houston Law Center (Houston, Texas)
- Suffolk University Law School (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Washington College of Law, American University (Washington D.C.)
- Santa Clara University School of Law (Santa Clara, California)
- Creighton University School of Law (Omaha, Nebraska)
Top 10 Undergraduate Schools
- University of Texas (Austin, Texas)
- Florida State University (Tallahassee, Florida)
- Texas A&M (College Station, Texas)
- University of Florida (Gainesville, Florida)
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- University of Miami (Coral Gables, Florida)
- University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- University of Washington (Seattle, Washington)
- University of Chicago (Chicago, Illinois)
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
Bonus: Common Lawyer Names
If you’re curious about the most common lawyer names (or at least for the lawyers claiming their profiles in the Justia Lawyer Directory), we’ve got you covered! We looked at the 10 most common first names for the men and women claiming their Justia Profiles last quarter.
Final Thoughts: Why Do You Care?
When you claim your profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory, you not only set your firm up for success, but you influence the next edition of Justia Lawyer Directory by the Numbers!
The Justia Lawyer Directory is a free, online directory helping people find the right attorneys for their legal matters. Any lawyer in the United States can claim their free Justia Profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory. Unlike many other online resources, our free profiles are user-friendly and robust, allowing you to always put your best foot forward.
Lawyers can also upgrade their free profile for just $19.99/month with Justia Connect Pro or purchase a Justia Premium Placement for featured listings in our directory.Related Posts
- Justia Lawyer Directory by the Numbers: Fourth Quarter 2022
- Justia Lawyer Directory by the Numbers: Third Quarter 2022
- Justia Lawyer Directory by the Numbers: Second Quarter 2022